21 Questions to Ask Before You Buy Any Shopping Cart System
21 Questions to Ask Before You Buy Any Shopping Cart System by Tom Antion
Once you've decided which product your going to sell online, the next most important decision you'll make is which shopping cart system to buy. It is perhaps the most important single decision you'll make in your online marketing career. This is because:
* You're sort of stuck with the decision for a long time.
* If you buy into a system that isn't adequate, it can cost you money. BIG money.
* There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of off-the-shelf alternative products out there vying for your money, time or both.
* Even if you decide you've made a mistake, switching shopping cart systems is really difficult.
I know. I learned the hard way. When I started in this business I couldn't find a decent shopping cart program so I rolled my own. What a headache. In the process of living with that monstrosity - - and shopping for a suitable replacement -- over the last couple of years, I've come up with something I think you'll find useful.
Here are 21 questions you absolutely, unfailingly MUST ask anyone trying to sell you a shopping cart, custom or otherwise. If you don't hear good positive answers to the vast majority of these questions, put your wallet back into your pocket and move to the next choice. Don't get stuck with a crappy shopping cart. (If you want to know even more about this subject, you can download a free eBook "How to Pick a Shopping Cart System That Makes You Money," from my site at http://www.public-speaking.org/ebook.htm You can even redistribute that book to others if you want to share these insights!)
1. Will it calculate shipping & tax?
2. Does it handle specialized shipping like FedEx and UPS?
3. Will it deliver hard goods and soft goods (digital products like ebooks & in the same transaction?
4. Does it offer customizable "Return to Shopping" pages without needing custom programming?
5. Does it allow you to make special offers?
6. Does it deliver receipt and confirmation emails?
7. Does it allow multiple order and dropship emails?
8. Does it have a Web-Based administration page?
9. Does it use encryption technology?
10. Does it deliver easy output to your accounting software?
11. Does it have its own associate program or is it easily compatible with other major brands of associate software?
12. Does it have integrated upsell modules?
13. Does it have an integrated sales and prospect database?
14. Does it have broadcast email capability?
15. Does it have mail merge capability?
16. Can it handle coupons and other discounts?
17. Can it work for multiple websites with no extra fees?
18. Does it have unlimited and fully integrated autoresponders?
19. Does it have ad tracking tied into actual sales?
20. Does it have a pop-up box builder?
21. Does it have a printable off-line order form?
============================================ Tom Antion is an Internet Marketing expert who really makes money on the Internet . . . he's not giving a book report. Tom is the founder of the infamous "ButtCamp" seminars where you learn to make money sitting at home on your rear end. Contact him at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.antion.com or http://www.GreatInternetMarketing.com
About the Author
Tom Antion is an Internet Marketing expert who really makes money on the Internet . . . he's not giving a book report. Tom is the founder of the infamous "ButtCamp" seminars where you learn to make money sitting at home on your rear end. Contact him at mailto:email@example.com or visit http://www.antion.com or http://www.GreatInternetMarketing.com